Best Practice Round-Up
Earnsy (rhymes with Guernsey) successfully completed the GDID (Graduate Diploma in Information Design, Ara) in 2017. She’s interested in many aspects of information design and is partial to flat whites. In her quarterly TechCommWire column, she looks for evidence (not just opinions) to help you manage the daily conundrums we face in our profession.
- Asking about Gender August 2018
Do technical communicators need to think about gender? I think so. We may be asked to review wording in forms or surveys, we may need to develop personas, and we need to ensure our writing doesn’t alienate readers and give them a bad user experience.
- Deciding between words and tables May 2018
Looked at the Super Rugby results lately? A bus timetable, perhaps, or the TechCommNZ subscription rates? Chances are, you’d have looked at a table. How should technical communicators decide when to use one?
- What's in a Caption? February 2018
Do you read captions? What do captions do?
- What’s the evidence for outline numbering? November 2017
Should technical communicators number sections in a document?
- What’s the evidence for learning styles? August 2017
Do technical communicators need to cater for different learning styles?
- Do too many warnings cause problems? May 2017
Do too many written warnings in manuals cause problems?
- Do metaphors put us on the right track? February 2017
What do the crossroads of life, the greenhouse effect, and jump-starting the economy have in common?
- Is it readable? November 2016
Just how important is the ‘look’ of a document?
- Are headings useful? August 2016
Do we know for sure that headings are useful? And what makes good headings?
- Five or 5? Words versus numerals... May 2016
Do you write numbers in words or numerals? What’s recommended, and are there exceptions to the rule?
- How many words make a sentence? February 2016
How many words should we have in a sentence? Why is sentence length important anyway, and just how important is it? Should we count words or chunks of information? And how can we manage sentence length?
- Is there a role for Technical Communicators in help forums? November 2015
Has googling has displaced technical writers? Why do users turn to help forums, and do technical writers make good forum moderators?
- Death by screenshots: Should we include them in online help? August 2015
‘Screenshots can be like crack. You don't need it, it can kill you, but you want it bad’ (MattBNH, 2009, para. 4). Screenshots can kill? Let’s hope not, but we can’t tell for sure because there’s a dearth of research.
- What's better? video or written help? May 2015
Should technical communicators provide video instead of written help?
- Using "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun February 2015
This article looks at the use of singular they. There has been surprisingly little research on it in the last decade, but we’ll look at its background, popularity, and what style guides recommend.