TechCommNZ Webinar Series on Plain Language
Join Shelly Davies in this series of four webinar sessions on the use of plain language in the way we communicate. The four sessions will be held between the 2nd February 2018 and 2nd March 2018.
There's only one way to go for clear written communications in modern business: plain language. It's not rocket science. It's not dumbing down. It's about writing like a reader and making information accessible and successful. And it's a heck of a lot easier than the way most of us have been writing for years. Hallelujah! Let's learn how to save time, improve relationships, and make ourselves and our organisations look better through simplicity: clear communication that WORKS.
For: Anyone who has to write at work (even just emails) in any industry.
Resources: You'll be provided with an e-workbook.
Commitment: There'll be small tasks of 1-2 hours between each session.
Session 1 - What is plain language?
- What does it look like?
- Who's using it?
- What do we know about it?
- What does the research say?
Session 2 - Sounding human - words and sentences
- Active and passive voice
- Sentence length
- Word choice
- Grammar rules vs conventions
Session 3 - Thinking like a reader - structure and layout
- Think visual - tables, bullets, and more!
- Parallel structure
- White space
Session 4 - Our success stories
- After a 2 week break, we'll have collected examples of docs we've rocked at work, things we've re-written, befores and afters, comms that got results.
- We'll share our successes and that will create a pool of examples we can each draw on as we improve writing at our workplace.
Date and time
- Session 1 - Friday 2nd February 2018 from 11:00 am - 12 Noon NZ time, (9:00am -10:00 am AEST)
- Session 2 - Friday 9th February 2018 from 11:00 am - 12 Noon NZ time, (9:00am -10:00 am AEST)
- Session 3 - Friday 16th February 2018 from 11:00 am - 12 Noon NZ time, (9:00am -10:00 am AEST)
- Session 4 - Friday 2nd March 2018 from 11:00 am - 12 Noon NZ time, (9:00am -10:00 am AEST)
The costs for this webinar are:
- TechCommNZ members (and affiliates: ASTC, NZATD, PRINZ) - free
- TechCommNZ student members - free
- Non-members - $30 +GST
Please register through the website so that we can send you details about accessing the webinar session.
About the presenter
Shelly Davies, managing director of Hamilton-based Shelly Davies Writing & Training, bounced unconventionally and entertainingly into the communications landscape. With a brand that’s exploding across a surprising mix of sectors and industries she’s now leading the pack.
"Brand Shelly" is out of the box, bubbly, pretty damn irresistible, more than a little sassy, and rapidly giving fewer and fewer f*cks what anyone thinks. And it’s working. Her writing is sharp, sought after, and highly paid. Her trainings are high energy, instantly impactful, and booked up to two years in advance.
She did her time in the classroom torturing teenagers and indoctrinating university students with academic conventions. She killed off one husband, kicked out another one, and popped out 3 money-sucking vampires. And then she discovered something amazing: good writing PAYS. And like common sense, it ain’t common.
Want more? Talk to Shelly.