Plain English specialist, freelance writer and editor
BA, Dip. Adult Teaching, Dip. Maori Studies
I am in business as an editor, trainer and writer, providing a full range of writing and editorial services. I will work with you to write more effectively, or write for you with clarity and accuracy. The relationships I establish through working with others are important to me and I guarantee timely consultation.
Commitment to plain English
With a background in education and sales, I know that information is powerful when a document is easy to read. My experience with a wide variety of readers, and a range of commercial and government organisations, confirms my commitment to plain English.
I handle a variety of material. My speciality is translating complex ideas into text that reaches a wide audience. For example, I have experience writing and editing material about workplace assessment.
Study during a Diploma in Matauranga Maori from Te Wananga o Raukawa in Otaki gave me the insight to write with a deeper appreciation of the tangata whenua. I write and edit information for audiences who use both English and Maori, and specialise in the area of bicultural Maori/Pakeha understanding.
I have continued to update my skills by attending professional development courses and gaining the Editorial Module of the Diploma in Publishing (Whitireia Polytechnic). I am also a qualified workplace assessor.
Some recent projects:
- Competency International Ltd, Porirua. Editing two international research papers.
- Disability, Spirituality & Faith Network, Wellington. Editing a book and then its large print version.
- IT Engine, Wellington. Editing proposals and newsletters for a computer business.
- Otago Southland Employers Association, Invercargill. Training in effective business and report writing.
- Community Connections Supported Living Trust, Wellington. Editing client newsletters.
- SUPERU (formerly the Families Commission), Wellington. Editing research papers.
- Human Rights Commission, Wellington. Editing investigative reports.
I actively contribute to the business writing community. In 2015 I was a judge for the New Zealand Plain English Awards in two categories.
As a member of the Technical Communicators Association of New Zealand, I promote professional development, networking and support for people in the technical communications industry.
RD2 Otaki 5582
Tel: +64 6 364 2497
Mobile: +64 27 295 3153
Posted on TechCommNZ website on 25 February 2016.